This hearty soup from Nadia G. has a healthy dose of spice, making it the perfect winter warmer.
Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, smashed
2 chipotle peppers, reconstituted and minced
1 red onion, diced
1 small pinch cumin
1 small pinch smoked cayenne
1 pinch smoked paprika
pinch sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup San Marzano tomatoes, hand-crushed
1 big pinch Greek oregano
1 1/2 cups chicken
1 sprig epazote
1/2 cup wild rice
2 cobs corn, grilled
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup black beans, cooked
pinch brown sugar
handful coriander, minced
Fried tortillas for topping
Dollop crème fraiche or sour cream
Fresh lime to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes until golden. Throw in the chipotles, red onion, cumin, smoked cayenne, smoked paprika, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper and sauté for 8 minutes.
2. Deglaze the pot with chicken broth and add the San Marzano tomatoes, Greek oregano, our hand-picked chicken meat and the sprig of epazote. Partially cover the pot and then let the soup simmer for about 40 minutes.
3. Boil some water in a separate pot. Throw in the wild rice, simmer for 40 minutes and then strain the rice.
4. Heat the canola oil in a grill pan over medium. Brush some canola oil on corn. Grill corn for a few seconds on all sides until marked. Slice off corn niblets. Add corn, wild rice, and cooked black beans to soup. Season the soup with sugar, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper and coriander to taste.
5. Serve this soup with a dollop of crème fraiche, some crispy tortillas and a squirt of fresh lime.
| CLICK TO COMMENT ON THIS STORY|
| CLICK TO BOOKMARK THIS PAGE ON YOUR FAVOURITE SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES|
| Ads by |
KATIE IN THE KITCHEN